Adco Trading, Inc.
Sarah Chovanetz – January 12, 2016
Having Your Cake and Eating it Too
A new year has begun for all of us and tons of resolutions have started as well. The most common one is obviously eating healthier, or making better choices in your diet. We all have done this one, it’s a great way to start off the new year and get your mind and body right!
Eating food that is healthier for you can make all the difference but it’s so much easier said than done. Finding recipes that resemble your favorite foods can help you make better choices and make your tummy happy without the guilt! With that said, who doesn’t love donuts? They are like little cakes that fit into the palm of our hands and taste heavenly. Everyone smiles when they hear the word, “donut”. But, no one likes the truth behind these delicious breakfast items. They are bad for you and loaded with sugar and calories that could put you on the treadmill the rest of the afternoon.
Well, what if Mi Huerta shared an amazing recipe with you that allowed you to “have your cake and eat it too”? Simple ingredients you can find at your local grocery and put together in the comfort of your home with your family that will create a breakfast that is simply divine. You will be named the number one parent of the household! And, everyone’s belt can stay buckled because the calories won’t be stacked up on you. You won’t have to feel extreme guilt and poke at yourself like the Pillsbury Doughboy. Lets get started! Mi Huerta loves sharing great recipes with their viewers and this one is one of our favorites. This recipe is called, Skinny Homemade Baked Donuts, and they are the yummiest! Here’s how to create these magical tiny cakes:
You will need a donut pan which you can get at Walmart, Amazon or Target.
- 1 Cup sifted unbleached whole wheat flour
- 1/4 Cup Truvia Baking Blend Natural Sweetener
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp baking soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Mi Huerta Vanilla Extract (so important because you must have pure vanilla extract and Mi Huerta’s is the BEST)
- 2 Egg whites
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 Cup plus 2 tablespoons fat free milk
- Your favorite toppings- cinnamon and sugar, powdered sugar, vanilla bean glaze (listed below), melted chocolate, strawberries
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease your donut pan with a baking spray that has flour in it.
- Mix-flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, gently whisk together egg whites, melted butter, skim milk and Mi Huerta Vanilla extract.
- Stir wet mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Fill donut pan until each is about 3 quarters full making sure you don’t overfill
- Bake for 14-17 minutes. Donuts should be golden brown and an inserted toothpick should come out clean.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Tip donuts out onto wire rack. Tap on the back of the pan if you have a few sticky ones.
- Top with anything you like. For the Vanilla Glaze mix 1/2 cup of powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon milk and a splash of our Mi Huerta Vanilla Extract. Enjoy!Let’s talk about why these donuts are considered “skinny”. For starters they are baked and not fried which is a huge factor in a our cooking technique when trying to choose the healthier alternative. Another great thing to realize about these donuts is that they are made with more simple and natural ingredients compared to the ones you buy at the store or your favorite donut place down the street. They are not loaded with superficial ingredients, dyes, tons of sugar and have way less calories; Sixty calories each to be exact. Isn’t that awesome?
This recipe is designed to help you enjoy your sweet craving but still know you aren’t indulging in the giant bucket of sugar. You are still maintaining the New Year Resolution of eating healthier and you can also include your kids which makes baking these donuts that much more fun.
In conclusion, we hope you enjoy this recipe and also continue to hold on to your resolutions, whatever they may be and focus on achieving your goals for this year. Donuts or no donuts, eating habits are a way of life and if you make the right ones, you will live happy and healthy which can inspire the people around you and create a stronger version of yourself each day. Believe in yourself and never give up! Now go bake some skinny donuts.