Mi Huerta Market
By Sarah Chovanetz
The Sweetest Bread You’ll Ever Eat!
This recipe is a beloved Mexican treat that continues to thrive generation after generation. Maybe it’s because it is the perfect start to your day with a yummy cup of coffee or because it is always a great choice after any meal. Seriously though, it is the sweetest bread you will ever meet and eat!
This sweet bread, also known as Pan Dulce, is found at your local Panaderia- Mexican Bakery. It is often served when family and friends visit and puts everyone in a good mood once it’s on the table! Many families have their own way of making Pan Dulce and it keeps it unique but still has the same result. The ingredients are quite basic, but the way the bread is made is what makes it so mouth watering. Not to mention how good it smells. I remember the first I had Pan Dulce from a local hole-in-the-wall Panaderia and it was absolutely delicious. I dipped it in some coffee and sat back and had such a smile on my face. This sweet bread melts away your problems for a moment. It is definitely a treat for any age and for any occasion. It’s a good thing I don’t make it all the time because I could easily eat this every single day for breakfast, and as a snack and after dinner. Our Mexican Vanilla is added as a topping and ties all the sweet flavors together. Cinnamon, sugar, vanilla, bread, and happiness. Get ready to add our Pan Dulce recipe to the list of Breakfast Recipes in your cookbook!
Mexican Sweet Bread, Pan Dulce
Makes about 12 Large Rolls
3 1/2 cups of flour
2 (1/4 ounce) packages of active dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 Cup of sugar
1/2 Cup of powdered milk
2 Tablespoons shortening
1 1/4 Cups water
1/2 Cup of butter
1/2 Cup of sugar
1 Egg yolk
1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Mi Huerta Vanilla Extract****
2/3 Cup of flour
- Stir together 1 cup of the flour, the yeast, salt, sugar, and powdered milk.
- Add shortening, egg, and hot water.
- Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Add another cup of flour and beat at high speed for 2 minutes. Stir in remaining flour and mix well.
- Turn onto lightly floured board. Dough will be soft and sticky. Do not knead but gently turn dough several times with a spatula to lightly coat with flour. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rest 20 minutes. Meanwhile, grease 2 baking sheets and make topping.
- Topping: Cream butter and sugar. Add egg yolk and cinnamon, Mi Huerta Vanilla Extract and blend. Add flour and mix well. Mixture may be crumbly. (you may have to add a lot more flour at this point- maybe even 1 1/2 cups).
- Rolls: With floured hands, divide dough into 12 pieces and shape into round, flat buns. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Sprinkle equal amounts of topping over each bun and press lightly into dough.
- Loosely cover rolls in plastic wrap and refrigerate 4 to 12 hours. Remove from refrigerator, uncover, and let stand while preheating oven to 400°F Bake for 15 minutes.
I promise you this way of baking the Pan Dulce will quickly replace any other version you may have previously had. I also highly recommend having a warm glass of milk, coffee or hot chocolate nearby once the rolls have cooled. They pair very nicely! Please enjoy this recipe and thank you for reading our blogs!