Mi Huerta Market
New Year’s Edition!
Sarah Chovanetz – December 28, 2017
NYE Celebration Cake
New Year’s Eve is a couple days away and so many of us are ready to start off 2018 better than we did in 2017. That probably includes exercise, budgeting, and of course eating right! Want a cheeseburger in 2018? FORGET IT, grab the salmon and green bean as a side we aren’t letting 2017 habits get in the way! I am sure some of you reading this are chuckling because it’s so relatable and cliche. But, before we all jump on the bandwagon of healthier choices, let’s make a dessert that will become a staple in your NYE plans for years to come! It will most likely roll into the new year as well but if you’re lucky and the guests you’re with aren’t worried about splurging, this dessert won’t last. The clock will strike midnight and you’ll think, “Happy New Year! Now let’s eat more cake!”. At least that seems to be our plan along with a few sips of champagne.
The good thing about this festive recipe is it actually includes the most common drink of choice, shared on New Year’s Eve. That particular drink or holiday spirit, would be the delicious and bubbly, sparkling wine! That’s right folks, this recipe is not only warm and moist with vanilla and cake intertwined but it also includes sparkling wine. It definitely gives the cake a bit of a kick in the most magical way. Imagine taking a bite of cake and having it give a little tingle or bubbling in your mouth. It’s a surprise and almost like a little holiday gift with each bite. It is so fitting for celebrating such a great event and using our pure vanilla extract will bring it all together as the best NYE cake ever!
Check out the recipe and directions below. Make sure to have party favors, balloons, confetti, and holiday spirit! Enjoy this and all of us at Mi Huerta wish you a very happy NEW YEAR! GO 2018.
Vanilla-Sparkling Wine Pound Cake
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sparkling wine OR milk (if you have kiddos go ahead with the milk but if you can please use the wine I am telling you it’s going to be a divine addition!)
3 tablespoons sour cream
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup safflower or canola oil
5 cold eggs
2 tablespoons Mi Huerta Vanilla extract****
1 recipe Sparkling Wine Glaze, recipe below
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan; set aside.
2. In large bowl mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. Sift mixture; set aside. Stir together sparkling wine and sour cream; set aside.
3. In large mixing bowl beat sugar, melted butter, and oil with electric mixer until well combined.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in vanilla extract. Beat on medium to high 3 to 5 minutes or until thicker and lighter in color.
5. Add one-third the flour mixture; beat on low just until combined, scraping sides of bowl as needed.
6. Add half the wine mixture; beat just until combined. Repeat with one-third the flour mixture, the remaining wine mixture, and remaining flour mixture.
7. With rubber spatula scrape batter into prepared pan.
8. Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
9. Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. Turn out on rack; cool completely.
10. Drizzle with ‘Sparkling Wine Glaze’. Makes 16 servings.
Sparkling Wine Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
In small bowl combine powdered sugar and 1 Tbsp. sparkling wine. Stir in additional wine, 1 tsp. at a time, to reach drizzling consistency. Drizzle all over cake until desired amount is reached!