Adco Trading Inc.
Happy Earth, Happy People
April is the month of spring season and also for celebrating how blessed we are to be alive on the planet, Earth! Earth is such an amazing place to live and we need to always remember that. What better way to remember and show our appreciation than by coming up with fabulous recipes for the whole family to enjoy and share? That is exactly what we are going to share here. A very Happy Earth Day recipe for sure!
Planet Earth Cake!
Here are the ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup whole milk
1/2 cup blueberry juice
2 teaspoons almond extract
2 tablespoons flour for sprinkling over diced blueberries
Small package of blueberries
Drop or two of blue food coloring
4 egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
Directions for the PLANET EARTH:
- Preheat oven to 340 degrees. Grease two 7” spring-form pans (or one 9”) and line with parchment paper.
- 2. Beat the butter and sugar together in the bowl of a stand mixer until creamy. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking powder. Combine milk, blueberry juice and almond extract, and add alternately to the butter and sugar with the flour mixture.
- 3. In a small bowl, sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of flour over the diced blueberries and stir until the flour has been completely absorbed. Note: It’s okay if the blueberries still have a little juice on them after this.
- 4. Stir blueberries into the batter. Stir in food coloring if desired
- 5. Fold stiffly beaten egg whites into the batter. Pour into prepared cake pans and bake for 50-60 minutes.Remove from pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
Ingredients for the Planet Earth’s Icing:
Vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frosting:
Green Food coloring
5 egg whites
1 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, cubed, at room temperature
3 teaspoons Mi Huerta Vanilla Extract
Directions for the Planet’s Icing!
- Set a saucepan filled one-third full of water over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer.
- Whisk together the egg whites, sugar, and salt in a large heatproof bowl. Set over the simmering water and whisk until the mixture is hot to the touch and the sugar has dissolved.
- Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
- Beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Increase to medium-high until stiff peaks are formed.
- Continue beating at medium-high speed until the mixture is fluffy and has cooled (the mixing bowl should feel cool to the touch).
- Turn the mixer off and switch from the whisk attachment to the paddle. Turn the mixer on medium-low and add the butter, a few cubes at a time, beating until well incorporated before the next addition.
7. Add the Mi Huerta Vanilla Extract. Divide batter and tint with food coloring, if desired. I kept a little Un-tinted frosting out to pipe around the edges of the cake. To achieve lighter blue/green tint, try using a dot of each of Sky Blue and Kelly Green Wilton gel food colorings.
- Beat until the frosting is thick and completely smooth.
- Store in an airtight container until ready for use.
What a Wonderful World
Our world is sacred. It should be treated with love and respect. We only have one planet and by improving daily habits we can make it that much healthier and better for all of us to live on. Reuse and Recycle is a wonderful process you can teach your kids. There are recycle bins everywhere, educate them! Show them what recycling can do for our world and how it will make it better. We have to remember our children are like sponges and we are their role models. They see us do things and they repeat the cycle. By saying that, if we recycle certain GOOD habits, they will do so as well! I couldn’t be more excited to share this recipe and hope you all enjoy it!
Don’t forget, we have one life and one world so do your best every day to live it to the fullest and respect and love Earth and it will do the same for you!
Ways to make Earth a better place:
- Pick up any trash you see outside and throw in the nearest trash can (animals and planet Earth will thank you! )
- Recycle plastic bottles, glass bottles and plastic items
- Plant seeds to increase our planet’s beauty, oxygen and environment
- Do not litter
- Reuse items when possible (ex: turn used milk cartons into plant boxes)
- Conserve water by using it only when necessary, (ex: use cold water when doing laundry, wash the dishes in the sink rather than in the dishwasher
- Conserve energy by turning off all the lights in every room when you are not at home and turn off the air conditioning (ex: this will save you money too! )
- Walk to your nearest locations rather than drive (ex: my grocery store is 10 minutes walking distance so I walk there whenever I need a couple of items)
- Use Aerosol free items
- Use glass cleaner wipes instead of paper towels
- Wait until you have a full load of laundry to run the washing machine
- Buy water by the gallon and refill it by using a filtration system (ex: Brita, Sink filtrators, etc)
- Be kind! Earth Loves you!